Sisgeo suggest that frozen water within the inclinometer casings is to be avoided due to following reasons:
– Ice within the casing will affect functionality of the systems by blocking the individual probes;
– Mechanical damages can occur to the probes, but also to the inclinometer casing due to the expansion of frozen water
In any case, inclinometers and DEX probes can work until -30°C so that sensors will be not damaged.
What can be done to avoid this?
– insert a heating cable that keeps water temperature above 0°C;
– remove water from the inclinometer casing;
– place the inclinometer/DEX probes at locations where temperatures remain above 0°C.